The WHHA's Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program welcomes partnerships with Landlords in the City of Winter Haven and the surrounding Polk County, FL communities to assist families in need of housing that's affordable. WHHA's HCV Program allows low-income families to rent quality housing in the private market via federal funds provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Through the HCV Program, WHHA pays a portion of eligible families' rent each month directly to the Landlord. Families can use their vouchers to rent a house or apartment in the private market.
If you wish to rent to an HCV family and enjoy a number of benefits including lower vacancy rates, tenant stability, and free property inspections, we encourage you to let us know and list your property on available rental websites, including www.FloridaHousingSearch.org and www.GoSection8.com. We no longer keep an in-house listing of available rental properties.
Ultimately, it is the HCV family's decision whether or not to rent your property. Of course, as the Landlord, you would screen the HCV family just as you would any other prospective tenant. The following steps summarize the process to become an HCV Landlord:
- Attend a Landlord Briefing (Scheduled twice annually)
- Market your property once HCV participant is selected
- Complete and submit a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA)
- Pass Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection.
- Execute lease and Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract
- Comply with HUD and WHHA's rules and regulations (enforce lease)